It’s not surprising that Golden Retrievers are one of the most popular dog breeds in the United States. Along with being exuberant, friendly and playful, they are strong dogs and hard workers. Golden Retrievers also have an instinctive love of water and are easy to train.
The Golden Retriever comes from England (1800’s) and was bred originally to hunt small game. They were named ‘retriever’ because of their ability to retrieve shot game undamaged.
Popular amongst celebrities, who wouldn’t want to be one of Oprah Winfrey’s two golden retrievers, Luca and Gracie. Jimmy Fallon is famous not only for hosting the Tonight Show, but also bringing his darling Golden Retriever Gary Frick to the show.
While Lisa Vanderpump’s (Real Housewives of Beverly Hills) dog Giggy has been a scene stealer, Lisa also received Rumpy Pumpy, a gorgeous Golden Retriever, from her husband, Ken, as a gift. We’re looking forward to Rumpy stealing the show!
Golden Retrievers are a long-coated breed, with a dense inner coat that provides them with adequate warmth in the outdoors, and an outer coat that lies flat against their bodies and repels water.
Golden Retrievers require regular grooming and occasional baths. Their coats shed somewhat during the year, but are known to shed profusely twice a year. While shedding is unavoidable, frequent grooming can reduce the amount of shedding. Need some help with shedding? Check out our article: Top 6 Products to Stop Your Dog from Shedding
Products for Golden Retrievers
- Golden Retriever Training (Book): Breed Specific Puppy Training Techniques, Potty Training, Discipline, and Care Guide
- Golden Retriever (Animal Planet Dogs 101) Book
- FURminator deShedding Tool for Dogs
- Royal Canin Golden Retriever Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy Dog Food Dry Dog Food
- Golden Retriever Big Dog Powerharness Soft Harness
- Golden Retriever Breed Dog Collar and Leash Set
Here’s two of our favorite Golden Retriever videos: