So how did Earth Rated get started?
In 2010, five friends, three of whom were dog owners, combined their personal savings and founded Earth Rated as a lifestyle brand for dog lovers. Back then, they saw that cities across North America were starting to charge a 5 cent fee for plastic grocery bags…which of course were the bags that dog owners were already using to pick up after their dogs.
They saw the need to encourage dog owners to be responsible by picking up and Earth Rated could help to make that otherwise unpleasant chore a little more fun for only “Pennies Per Poop”. They led the charge to provide affordable and fun products to keep communities clean, so that all dogs (and their humans!) have safe spaces to run and play.
Are all your bags biodegradable?
We offer two types of bags:
1. Our green-colored bags contain an EPI additive, which reacts to heat, oxygen and agitation. This additive allows our bags to break down, unlike traditional plastic grocery bags. However, due to the updated U.S. Federal Trade Commission regulations, as applied to dog waste bags, they cannot meet the regulatory definition of “biodegradable” as they cannot be proven to break down within a regulated time frame (one year) in every type of landfill environment.
2. Our white-colored bags are 100% plastic-free, vegetable starch-based bags. These bags are unscented and meet the ASTM D6400 guidelines. They can be disposed of in a municipal compost environment where pet waste is accepted.
We are not aware of any “biodegradable” pet waste bags currently available on the market that meet the U.S. regulations.
Where does the lavender scent come from?
Our scent formulation is derived from various plant, flower and fruit oils. As dog owners ourselves, we ensure that our scented bags are non-toxic and comply with regulations set by the International Fragrance Association (IFRA). You can find the scented bags are in the lavender color-coded packaging.
Our entire collection is also available in an unscented option – look for the blue color-coded packaging.
How should I dispose of my bag?
Are your bags flushable?
All bags containing poop should be disposed of in trash bins, not flushed or left on the ground.
Do you offer any larger bags for bigger messes?
Our handle bags open extra wide to clean up bigger messes. In addition, the ease of tying and untying these bags makes them ideal for multi-dog households with multiple poops!
How should your bags be stored?
We don’t want you getting poop on your hands, so here are some tips to avoid this!
- Do not store your bags in direct sunlight or humid places.
- Do not keep bags for more than 1 year from the time of purchase.
- If purchasing many boxes at one time, please ensure to use the oldest boxes / bags first.
Is the dispenser recyclable?
Our goal is to offer a durable dispenser that customers can refill as needed. Should the time come where you need to say goodbye, please feel free to add it to your recycling bin if the recycling facilities in your area accept #5 plastic, or return it to us for recycling.