Hello Dog ! Many people and children love dogs and would like to greet them in a friendly way. Despite their good intentions, sometimes humans and dogs are “lost in translation“. Many people use approaches are not really dog friendly or at least a dog does not understand it to be friendly.
The easiest way to say ” hello dog ” is to remember the acronym WAIT:
– Wait to make sure a dog looks friendly.
– Ask the owner’s permission to pet the dog.
– Invite the dog to sniff the person before petting.
– Touch the dog gently on its back, away from its face and tail.
Some other good tips:
– Let the dog approach you first
– Don’t scream or speak loudly around a dog
– Let the dog sniff your hand
– Do not pat the dog on their head. Approach them on their back or on the side of their body
– When petting a dog, don’t tap them. Use a soft smooth stroke from the head towards the tail
– Don’t grab their tail
Here’s a fantastic illustration on how NOT to greet a dog:
Want to learn more? Check out our post on How to Read Dog Body Language!